Kenya's Fight Against Meningitis: Developing a National Meningitis Elimination Plan
Nakuru, Kenya 20th September 2023 - The State Department of Public Health and Professional Standards' Disease Surveillance and Response Unit is taking significant steps in our battle against meningitis. With support from WHO, the team has been working tirelessly on the development of Kenya's National Meningitis Elimination Plan.
Meningitis is a severe infectious disease with serious hea
lth, economic, and social consequences. In response to this pressing issue, Kenya is proactively working on a comprehensive plan to combat this devastating disease.
The proposed pillars of the National Meningitis Elimination Plan include:
- Enhancing government ownership and securing financing for meningitis programs.
- Amplifying support and care for individuals affected by meningitis.
- Strengthening laboratory capabilities for precise diagnosis and addressing antimicrobial resistance.
- Reinforcing meningitis data capture and analytics to inform decision-making.
- Enhancing the quality of clinical diagnosis and treatment across all levels of healthcare.
- Strengthening risk communication and fostering community engagement.
These strategic pillars will form the foundation of Kenya's efforts to prevent outbreaks and reduce the burden of meningitis in the country. The ultimate goal is to create a healthier and more secure future for all Kenyan citizens.